Ron and I caught the latest iteration of CHAWberet on Friday night, titled Cabaret Connections.
The evening had a theme of “family” with the performers exploring the theme from all angles — tender, sardonic, heartfelt, and even spooky! All of the performers delivered material in very personal interpretations, and there was a fascinating variety of material. Matt Howe assembled everyone’s contributions in an amazingly cohesive, charming fashion and Alex Tang provided music direction that both supported the needs of individual performers and provided a unifying feel for the evening.
The program repeats Friday, November 7 and Saturday, November 8.
Here’s what people sang:
- Mama Says (Dean Reichard)
- Be Kind to Your Parents (Dean Reichard & Catherine Satterlee)
- Someone to Watch Over Me (Cahterine Satterlee)
- I Won’t Mind (David McMullen)
- Way Ahead of My Time (David McMullen)
- She’s Always a Woman (Emily Leatha Everson)
- I Love to Be Unhappy (Emily Leatha Everson)
- Real Emotional Girl (Dean Reichard)
- Family Theme (Ensemble)
- Live Alone and Like It (Matt Howe)
- Hello Again (Matt Howe)
- Older Sister (Catherine Satterlee)
- My Dogs (David McMullen)
- The Story Goes On (Emily Leatha Everson)
- Brotherhood of Man (Ensemble)
In one of the more charming moments of the show, Matt took a picture of the audience and performers which he was kind enough to share with this blog. When Matt sends me the photos from the next 2 shows, I sincerely hope there are more people in the house since this is a show that deserves to be seen!!!