I saw Christine Ebersole and James Naughton in concert at Strathmore Sunday night.
Wow, what great performers these two are. I had never seen Ebersole live before, but now I can say that the recordings and videos of her really don’t convey the power she has for a live audience. And is it just me, or is she Kristen Chenowith in 2 decades? Sadly James Naughton’s fabulous looks were a little dimmed by a leonine hairstyle and beard he is currently sporting due to a run in The Master Builder Off-Broadway.
I’ll link to my review when Cabaret Scenes runs it.
Something not in the review that I feel the need to comment on is that the show had the worst lighting I’ve seen in a concert venue in a while. At the beginning of the show, the audience was sitting in the dark a good 2 minutes before the BAND came on, the follow spot didn’t always manage to follow, and the performers were really unflatteringly lit. On the positive side, this is a reminder of what a terrific job local venues (including Strathmore) normally do on lights and sound for performers.
Here’s their set list:
- How About You? — Both
- I Got the Sun in the Morning — Ebersole
- This Little Town is Paris– Ebersole
- Real Live Girl– Naughton
- My Foolish Heart– Naughton
- No Bout Adoubt It– Ebersole
- I’ve Been Everywhere– Naughton
- How Are Things in Glocca Morra– Ebersole
- The Doodling Song — Both (OK — I’m guessing the title on this one)
- Westport– Naughton
- I Ain’t Got Nothin’ But the Blues– Naughton
- Skylark– Ebersole
- Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most– Ebersole
- Whatever Happened to Melody — Naughton
- Pieces of Dreams (Little Boy Lost)– Ebersole
- It’s a Pity to Say Goodnight — Both
- Encore — They Can’t Take That Away From Me — Both